Friday, September 07, 2007

Redding's Sundial Bridge

A marvel of modern architecture... right up my alley!

Tuesday night, just before midnight, when they turn of all the lights, I went out to photograph Redding's most prominent landmark. The Sundial Bridge, designed by international architect Santiago Calatrava, crosses the Sacramento River just outside downtown Redding, and has become one of the most recognizable (and most photographed) features in the area. Calatrava (www.Calatrava.com) is known around the world for his sensual, organic shapes and creative support methods, changing the face of many cities with his memorable pieces, including the Athens Olympic Sports Complex and the Lyon Airport Station in France.

As some of you may know, Architectural Photography is the one commercial avenue of photography that really intrigues me. Weddings don't do it. Traditional portraits don't do it. Sports don't do it. For whatever reason, I have a deeply rooted connection with compelling architecture. I studied Architecture for a year at Georgia Tech, and was intrigued by the ancient architecture of the Olde World that we studied in Art classes at UGA, but my interests in the field go back much farther than that, although I can't quite pinpoint the actual moment of epiphany.

Where it came from, I don't know. But, what I do know is that it inspires me to this day. And I se
em to have a natural talent for it. I was even doing regular pieces for San Diego Magazine, and Trump Resorts, and had my work published in three separate international coffee table books before I left San Diego to embark on this journey.

What really got me into architectural
photography was the discovery of my Una Nuova Vita series of San Diego's North Park Theatre by architect Wallace Cunningham. He asked me to shoot one of his creations for San Diego Magazine, and, with a little tutoring and some loaner equipment from my good friend and photographer Pablo Mason, I got a cover shot and a 10 page spread. Everything else snowballed from there.

Since then, I've shot in Mexico, Palm Springs, San Diego, and Atlanta, and, during this trip, I'll have the opportunity to shoot
all over the rest of the country. And, with the right exposure, in the next several years, I will be able to make it over to Dubai to shoot some of the most incredible modern architecture in the world. (Do a Google image search for "Dubai" and you'll see what I mean.)

Like the phenomenal designs in Dubai, the Sundial Bridge is one
of those unique examples of architecture that inspire me. And I'd be remiss if, during my delay here in Redding, I didn't go out and shoot it at least once. Now that I think about it, I may just go back and shoot it again!

No comments: