Widow Makers VIP artist's reception for Holt Webb at 4 Walls Gallery
Fine Art Photography
What a great night!
I'd like to thank all of my friends and colleagues for coming out and supporting my first solo gallery exhibition, and for supporting Ray at Night. I can't express in mere words how important it is to me that everyone dropped what they were doing to see my work on the gallery walls.
There were over 1000 people in attendance for the 5th Anniversary of Ray at Night, and it seemed like every single one of them stopped in to view my images. The gallery was packed all night, and even stayed open an hour after most other places on the street were closing down. There was a lot of interest in my color image of the Salton Sea, as well as the two images from my Trembling Earth series, but the stars of the show seemed to be the wild horse selections from my series, Untamed.
At one point, I saw a young woman jumping up and down with a huge smile on her face telling her friends all about how much she loved one of my black and white closeup horse portraits. Not sure yet if she bought the image, but I do expect that the image will sell very quickly.
I guess the image that got the most "oohs and aahs" was the 3 foot by 5 foot canvas of "U-01", the first in my Untamed series. It seemed to be the most talked about image of the night.
From what the gallery curator, Elliot Linwood, told me near the end of the evening, it looks like we sold 4 or 5 pieces, including two from the Untamed series.
Maybe it was the full moon, but everything seemed to come together for me that evening. ..
- It was Ray at Night's 5th anniversary,
- there was a great band playing on the roof (U2 style),
- Toni Atkins gave a speech,
- my parents flew into town just for the show,
- almost all of my friends came down to support me,
- this same month San Diego Magazine did a small profile on me as a contributing photographer,
- San Diego Magazine also had a 6 page article on a home for which I did all the photography,
- my best friend, Marc, and his wife, Nancy, sent me a bottle of fantastic wine for me to celebrate because they couldn't be here to celebrate with me,
- attendance that night set a new record for the event.
I truly enjoyed the evening. It was a great start to what seems to be a blossoming career.
And, again, to all of you who made it out: A Giant THANK YOU!
And, to all of you who couldn't make it: I'll be having another reception on September 23rd. I hope to see you there.
© Holt Webb Photography