Sunday, July 11, 2010

Time out!

I mentioned in the last post that I'm waiting to hear from the Coast Guard about getting on a media vessel to check out the oil spill. I should hear something by Monday or Tuesday. But, it's just as well I'm not out there running around because the local wildlife here in Venice has temporarily grounded me. Don't ask me how it happened, but I noticed a couple of bug bites the other day -- two on my waist and one on the bottom of my right foot (yeah, go figure).

When regular topical ointments wouldn't relieve the itching, I took a closer look at the bites. Turns out they aren't your garden variety mosquito or no-see-um. I don't know what it was, but I do know that it is bad. As you can see from the photo, the little red lines radiating from the swollen red bite mark on my sole indicate that whatever is in there is spreading through my bloodstream. Not good.

So, I'm on antibiotics and taking it easy until the infection goes away -- which it already seems to be doing. (Don't worry, I feel fine.)

And, while I'm laid-up, I will be editing my interview with Kindra Arnesen -- local activist and rising star in the fight to protect Louisiana's precious coastal wetlands.

Stay tuned...

And, if you haven't already, you can help me bring you images and stories from the gulf by donating to the project at www.donatevanam.blogspot.com.

No comments: